NOMINATION PAPER ACCEPTANCE: Monday, January 4, 2021 -Monday, September 20, 2021 at 12:00 PM
ELECTION DAY: Monday, October 18, 10:00 AM – 8:00 PM
Following Nomination Day, September 20 at noon, if there are more candidates nominated than there are positions available, an Election will be held. Notice of the Election will be advertised in the Bassano Times, on the electronic sign, the Town’s social media pages and online at www.bassano.ca.
Who can be a candidate?
A person may be nominated as a candidate in any election under this Act if on nomination day the person:
- Is eligible to vote in that election
- Has been a resident of the Town of Bassano for the 6 consecutive months immediately preceding nomination day
- Is not otherwise ineligible or disqualified
If you are interested in becoming a candidate, you are encouraged to review the information provided in the links below. This information will help you understand the role of an elected leader.
|2021 Municipal Election Information|
|A Candidate's Guide: Running for Municipal Office in Alberta|
|Local Authorities Election Act|
|Municipal Government Act|
|Alberta Urban Municipalities Association - for general information|
|Federation of Canadian Municipalities - for general information|
Review the key bylaws, policies, and plans linked below to learn about current priorities in Bassano and operating standards.
How to become a candidate?
Review the Candidates Guide – Running for Municipal Office
Every nomination of a candidate must be:
In the prescribed form:
- form 4 – Nomination Paper and Candidate’s Acceptance,
- form 5 – Candidate Information and
- Release of Candidate Information.
- Forms are also available at the Town Office, online by clicking the links above or email email@example.com for a digital copy.
The prescribed form must:
- Have the candidates name and address
- Be signed by at least 5 eligible electors residing in Bassano
- Be signed by the candidate
- Be sworn before a Commissioner for Oaths or Notary Public in and for Alberta
Nominations for the offices of Councillor (5) will be received by the Returning Officer or Deputy Returning Officer from Monday, January 4, 2021 to Monday, September 20, 2021 closing at 12 noon in the Town Administration Building, Council Chambers located at 502 – 2nd Avenue, Bassano.
Please call the Town office at 403-641-3788 to book an appointment to submit your completed nomination papers or if you have any questions.
Remember to follow all public health guidelines when you are out campaigning, wear a mask, sanitize, and maintain a physical distance of 2-meters. Help keep yourself and our community safe during Election.