B.A.R.R.A (Bassano And Area Resource Recovery Association)
BARRA, a non-profit volunteer organization, has been active for approximately 15 years. THe BARRA Board meets bi monthly on the 3rd Wednesday and currently has 2 part-time employees.
Access is available on a 24 hour basis. We accept and actively recycle: White paper, colored paper, newsprint, glossy magazines,cardboard , tin cans- washed,labels removed and pressed, plastic – washed, and caps removed and some electronic waste – TVs and computers only.
For more information on recycling – www.recycle.ab.ca
Bassano Health Centre
Palliser Health Region
Bassano’s first hospital was built in 1914, and for a while served as the only hospital between Calgary and Medicine Hat. In 1919 the Town of Bassano took over the facility and began operating it as a Municipal Hospital. This original building was renovated and extended several times before being replaced in 1958 with the present building. Bassano currently has the distinction of having the oldest facility in the province.
In November 1997, the Primary Care clinic was opened in the lower level of the building. At this time the name of the facility was also changed to the Bassano Health Centre to be more reflective of the wide range of services offered.
Bassano Health Centre has 4 acute care, 1 palliative care and 8 continuing care beds, as well as 1 respite care bed.
Service is provided based on a Primary Health Care model, and includes 2 physicians and a Primary Care Nurse located on site.
24 Hour Emergency Services
A multidisciplinary team also provides services in Physiotherapy, Nutrition Counselling, Occupational Therapy, Respiratory Therapy, Recreation Therapy, Social Work, Community Mental Health Counselling, Home Care Services, Public Health Services, Lab and Diagnostic Imaging.
Bassano Memorial Library
Hours of Operation:
Tuesday: 10:00 am – 8:00 pm
Thursday: 2:00 pm – 9:00 pm
Saturday: 10:00 am – 5:00 pm (closed on Long Weekend Saturday’s)
- access to over 400,000 items within the Shortgrass catalogue
- holds can be placed using library computers or home computers
- on-line databases (available only to library members)including Consumer Reports and Press Display for any newspaper from around the world for free
- “Mango” Learn a language
- 4 public access internet connected computers
- dvd’s, cd’s, audio tapes and large print books available
- items can be renewed by phone or computer
- 24 hour book return located at the library
- Computer assistance available Tuesday evenings (sponsored by FCSS)
- Two ebook sites to download ebooks to almost all readers for free
- Bonnie Bennett
We have an Alberta Initiative for School Improvement project (Focussed Reading Comprehension) running at our school which involves a partnership with the University of Calgary. High school students have access to a welding and mechanics program through the “Innovation Award” winning mobile CTS lab that is provided by Grasslands Public Schools and Alberta Learning. Sports is an integral part of our school culture- “Go Broncos”.
Bassano School Website
Dr. Scott Apartments
Inquiries can be made to the Manager of the Playfair Lodge at 641-3000.
The Elks Hall is owned and operated by the local Chapter #487 fundraisers include bingo bimonthly, pancake breakfasts, Oyster feed – to mention a few. Meetings are held the first and third Thursdays of each month, recessing for July & August each year.
Hall rental rates are set at $200. for the upstairs and $125.00 for the downstairs. For availability or to book the hall call the Town office at 641-3788.
The O.O.R.P. #294 (Royal Purple) meet the third Tuesday of each month. Fundraiser include spring and fall teas, funeral luncheons and catering to banquets. For more information – contact Corinne Kunka 403-641-4666.
Is a Volunteer Tutor Program:
- designed for adults who want basic literacy instruction
- based on trained volunteer tutors
- flexible in timing and location
- available throughout the County of Newell
Agencies, organization and businesses can effectively help those with literacy challenges. ABLE can facilitate workshops, audits and action plans on literacy awareness and plain language. Take steps now to enhance literacy assets in our communities. Phone Kathy at ABLE, 641-4407.
NEWELL ABLE LITERACY TEAM
PHONE: KATHY AT 641-4407
Bassano Masonic Hall #55
Bassano Masonic Lodge number 55 A.F. & A.M. G.R.A. received their charter in the year 1911. At that time they rented a building at 223 – 3rd Street. This Lodge and contents were destroyed by fire in 1955. The present Lodge was built by volunteer labour; located at 220 – 3rd Street and is used today by the Masons, Order of the Eastern Star and Big Country Shrine Club.
The Masonic membership is about 80 members and regarded as a very active Lodge with regular meetings the second Thursday of each month excluding July and August.
Contact: Brad Hale
Newell Further Education Council
Who are we?
Newell Further Education Council provides non-credit adult learning in rural communities within the County of Newell. Under the umbrella of the Community Learning Network, we are one of 83 councils in Alberta funded by Alberta Enterprise & Advanced Education. This non-profit organization is governed by a board of directors and one staff, the Program Manager. Legal Host: Grasslands Public Schools.
Our program goals are:
- To improve the accessibility of learning opportunities in Alberta communities, including individuals with special needs or barriers to learning
- To provide opportunities for Albertans to acquire important foundational skills such as literacy and English as a Second Language.
- To address education, training and learning gaps in Alberta communities.
- To mobilize community volunteer and other resources in support of learning.
A course catalogue is released in January & September of each year. If you haven’t received one in your mailbox, please contact the manager at 403-641-3444 and she will be happy to mail one out to you.
The Newell Further Education Council offers a wide variety of topics like:
- Career & Employment
- Computer Training
- English as a Second Language
- Family Literacy
- General Interest
- Health & Wellness
- Public Legal Education
- Recreation & Fitness
- Youth Programs
We would love to hear from you!
By mail: Newell Further Education Council
Pioneer Damsiters Drop-In Centre
The Pioneer Damsiters Drop-In Centre is a wonderful gathering place for seniors. The facility is a Town owned – volunteer operated facility. Activities that take place on a regular basis in the Drop-In Centre are bingos, luncheons, card parties and socials. Membership $10.00 per person yearly and new members are always welcome!
General Functions and Activities
- Coffee Mornings: Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays @ 9:30 am
- Choir Practice: Monday evenings 7:PM ( open to the public who enjoys singing )
- Foot Clinic: 3rd Tuesday of the month – 9:30 am ( open to the public )
- Shuffle board Tuesday nights 7:PM
- Crib: Wednesday s – 2: pm 5 PM
- Bingo: Thursday – 2:00 PM Bring a Friend
- Pool : Thursday – 7:Pm
- Movie Night Friday – 7:PM
- Darts – Saturday 7:PM
- Pot Luck Suppers: Last Sunday of the month – $5.00 Charge for non members.
- Function Fee: $1 for members $2 for non members (except for potlucks).
Anyone 50 years young may join the Centre, you do not have to join the Centre to Participate in these activities. Watch for further posting of other activities!! Adjustments to activities if rented out!
New members welcome – please call:
Tom Harrison 403-641-2512
Playfair Lodge – Newell Foundation
– Click on images to enlarge –Facility information
Playfair Lodge is a congregate, living facility serving functionally independant senior citizens 65 years of age and over. The Lodge provides housekeeping service, full meal service, laundry service, basic room furnishings, building security, 24 hour non-medical staffing and opportunities for socializing.
Additional Services and Amenities
- Hairdresser and barber services available at reasonable rates.
- Hearing aid clinic once per month.
- Medication and bathing assistance through the Home Care Program.
- Religious services – every Wednesday – different Church.
- Bingo, games, crafts, and other social activities – occasional fees apply.
- Mail service – Monday thru Friday.
- Newell Handibus every Friday except holidays.
- Volunteer drivers for transportation within Town.
Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP)
The Town of Bassano is pleased to host a Royal Canadian Mounted Police Detachment which is one of the Town’s vital agencies. The Detachment covers a large geographical area that includes, Bassano, the TransCanada Highway (Hwy 1), Highway 56, the Village of Hussar, a western portion of Wheatland County, the Village of Rosemary, the Hamlet of Gem, several secondary Highways, and a sizeable part of the County of Newell east of Brooks, AB. The Bow River borders in the