2023 Tax Rates
Each year property owners receive a tax bill. Taxes are collected for the purpose of operating the municipality to provide services such as roads, recreation, social services, building maintenance/operations, emergency services, and much more. In addition to the municipal tax levy, the town is required to collect other taxes and remit them directly to the provincial government and the seniors housing authority. The additional taxes are described as a requisition. One hundred percent (100%) of the requisition collected is remitted to the provincial government and the seniors housing authority. The municipality has no control over the requisitioned amount.
On your 2023 tax bill, you will see four separate line items:
- A municipal levy – this covers the operating requirements for the municipality. The total municipal taxes levied this year is $1,472,748 a 3.5% increase from 2022.
- ASFF requisition – this is the education tax levy that is paid directly to the province. The total ASFF requisition this year is $330,887.
- Seniors housing requisition – this is the seniors housing tax levy that is paid directly to the Newell Housing Foundation. The total seniors housing requisition this year is $12,335.
- Police Funding Model – this tax levy was introduced in 2021 and is paid directly to the province. This tax is intended to help fund additional rural police. The total police funding model requisition for this year is $45,196.
Regardless of your age or demographic, you are responsible to pay each of the four tax levies outlined above.
|2023 Tax Levy (Mill Rate)||Residential/Farmland||Non-Residential/Linear|
|Municipal levy only||10.62469||17.28218|
|Combined levy (Municipal, ASFF, Seniors Housing, Police Funding Model)||13.57757||21.39476|
How Are My Taxes Calculated
Each property owners’ taxes are calculated based on the property’s assessment X by the mill rate. The total amount of taxes required to operate Bassano in 2023 is $1,472,748. The property owners portion of the municipal taxation is then derived from property assessment X the mill rate as shown in the example below.
Municipal mill rate: x 10.62469
Municipal taxes: $2,054
Combined mill rate: x 13.57757
Combined taxes: $2715
Municipal mill rate: x 17.28218
Municipal taxes: $3,364
Combined mill rate: x 21.39476
Combined taxes: $4279
Benchmark Assessment Consultants Inc. is under contract to provide assessment services to the town. It is possible that your property assessment may increase or decrease annually as a result of sales and property characteristics, property upgrades, or demolition. Questions regarding your property’s assessment can be directed to Ryan Vogt, Assessor at 1-800-633-9012 or email@example.com. The below table explains the overall assessment changes over last year – 2022 Assessment is used to calculate 2023 taxes.
|2022 Assessment||2021 Assessment||Change (%)|
|Machinery and Equipment||3,094,550||2,961,990||+4%|
Payment of Taxes
Your tax bill (property taxes) are due by July 31 annually. Payments made after the due date are subject to an 18% penalty (Bylaw 918/21).
Payments can be made by cash, cheque, debit, money order, or eTransfer. The town does not accept credit cards for property taxes.
|By mail||In person||Drop box||Financial Institution (in-person, online, or by phone)||Tax Installment Payment Plan (TIPPS)|
|Town of BassanoP.O. Box 299|
Bassano, AB T0J 0B0 – payments must be postmarked on or before July 31 to avoid penalty.
|Bassano Town Office502 – 2nd Avenue, Bassano, AB during regular business hours (Monday – Wednesday and Friday 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.)||There is a mail slot at the entrance of theBassano Town Office 502 – 2nd Avenue, Bassano, AB. Tax payment can be placed in the mail slot outside of regular business hours.||At most chartered banks, trust companies, credit unions, or via telephone or internet backing. Pleas allow a minimum of 72 business hours for your payment to be processed.||Equalized monthly tax payments can be made by registering with the Town Office to participate in the TIPPS program. You must register by December 15 annually to be part of the program. For details contact Christine Petkau, Finance and Legislative Services Coordinator at 403-641-3788 or email firstname.lastname@example.org|
Property Owners are encouraged to set up for paper free billing. https://townofbassano364327968.wpcomstaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/2023-Tax-Account-Information-Form-Fillable.pdf
Late penalties are levied in accordance with the Late Payment of Taxes Bylaw 918/21
- An 18% penalty is applied to unpaid current year taxes on August 1
- An 18% penalty is applied to unpaid tax accounts after December 31 annually
Finance and Taxation (TIPPS)
|2022 Financial Statement|
|2021 Financial Statement|
|2020 Financial Statement|
|2019 Financial Statement|
|2018 Financial Statement||TIPPS BROCHURE|
|2017 Financial Statement|
- Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program – the government of Alberta continues to offer support through the Seniors Property Tax Deferral Program. Resources can be found here. If you need help filling out the forms or navigating this program our FCSS department is available to assist by contacting Amanda Barron at 403-641-3788 or email@example.com.